[FFmpeg-devel] Big companies taking advantage of ffmpeg developers

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Aug 23 14:32:38 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 02:22:20PM +0200, Crypto wrote:
> I just wonder why some companies refuse to give credit to you, I
> discovered that Viewcast Corporation http://www.viewcast.com have launch
> a new version of their main product  Niagara SCX and the only apreciable
> advantage is that now they use ffmpeg with out fiving credit to ffmpeg.
> It's mroe thier licence is agains the LGPL in some terms.

which terms?
do they provide the ffmpeg source code?
copy of the LGPL?

> I checked on the version 5.1.179.0 and this version isntall the
> following components :
>
> lame_enc.dll
> EmLameWrapper.ax
> ffmpeg.exe --> incompatible with the avcodec version included ask for
> avcodec-51.dll
> avcodec,dll
> avformat.dll
> avutil.dll
>
> and more
>
> You can download a test version from their web site.

btw, maybe we should use roundup to keep track of license violations, what do
people think?
ive definitly lost track of the past ones and that isnt good

btw2, after we know what terms precissely they violate, someone should contact
them and demand that they comply with the LGPL

Observe your enemies, for they first find out your faults. -- Antisthenes