[FFmpeg-devel] MPEG Video support in RTP

Måns Rullgård mans
Thu Aug 23 11:11:19 CEST 2007

Luca Abeni wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> [...]
>>> mpeg1video ~= mpeg2video != mpeg4video != h264 ....
>>
>> rt*p == 1 seperate language for each sentence, total incompetence at its best
>
> This is probably true, I do not know... But RTP is the standard
> described in various RFCs,

Yes, and this is very unfortunate.

> and if we want to interoperate with other
> tools we have to implement it correctly... :(

That's true in theory.  In practise, an implementation has to be
compatible with all bugs in all implementations it is to
interoperate with.  I have yet to see two compatible implementations
of RT*P.  Every implementation I've come across has had workarounds
for specific bugs in some random set of other implementations.  This
goes for both clients and servers.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com