[FFmpeg-devel] [DOC] FFSERVER Configuration Files.

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Aug 8 23:19:28 CEST 2007

Hi

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 12:03:48PM -0700, Piero Bugoni wrote:

> --- Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> > > OK.
> > >
> > > (How limited)?  I have around 320Kb/s upload speed to the net.
> >
> > you misunderstand
> > fixed qp encoding IS fundamentally not suitable for streaming, it does not
> > matter what bandwidth you have
>
> Why is that?

because if you set qp high quality will be bad, if you set it low your
bandwidth will be insufficient if the video has the wrong content
your video might need the bitrates written above another might need 10x
the bitrate at the same qp (and i mean same resolution and framerate)

> > if you do have 100mbit/sec you might get away with a 5 streams at constant
> > qp if the resolution isnt too high (dvd resolution or below)
> >

> Generally, the presumption with these files is that the resolution will be CIF size or smaller.
>
> That being said, recommend some more appropriate Q values, and I will test them, and add them to
> the notes.
>
> FFServer deals with QMin and QMax, but I do not know if a "QScale" option is available.
>
> Recommend changes, and I'll put them in.

use bitrate and maxrate (and maxrate at least 30% higher than bitrate)
set qmin=2 qmax=31

The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living from the
dead. -- Aristotle