[FFmpeg-devel] Stack variables alignment check in libavcodec/dsputil.c

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Aug 2 02:13:59 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 02:56:13AM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 01:29 +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > My impression so far is that it is one of
> > 1) pre-4 gcc. Seems reasonable to ask for something newer then, for
> > AltiVec it is need too after all (IIRC).
> > 2) The calling function (not gcc compiled or old gcc compiled) not
> > having the stack aligned sufficiently. Here the solution seems out of
> > our scope beyond adding it to the FAQ. We might in addition see if we
> > can provide a wrapper function to align the stack suitably.
>
> As I mentioned earlier on -cvslog: if externally visible functions were
> marked then FFmpeg could set the gcc 4.2+ function parameter
> force_align_arg_pointer for them on win32.

in case anyone is curious
avcodec_encode/decode_*
and
everything that is passed to AVCodecContext.execute()
might be all that needs the stack realign attribute

Why not whip the teacher when the pupil misbehaves? -- Diogenes of Sinope