[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] remove support for AMR NB fixed-point

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Apr 22 15:04:25 CEST 2007

Hi

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 02:53:49PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> I would like to remove support for AMR NB, fixed-point version.
>
> The feature is non-essential, we have support for the floating-point
> version.
>
> The support we currently have is extremely hackish, external source code
> needs to be imported into FFmpeg.  For AMR NB floating-point version
> there now exist proper libraries.  Removing support might motivate
> somebody to do this for the fixed-point version as well.
>
> Furthermore, the AMR libraries are non-free.

do you have a link to their license/copyright? and/or summary of why they
are non free (i never read their license terms ...)

> If they are imported into
> FFmpeg, the resulting FFmpeg libraries and binaries are undistributable.
> This is not something we should be encouraging.

no, of course not ...

Democracy is the form of government in which you can choose your dictator