[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: directshow grab device?

Ramiro Ribeiro Polla ramiro
Fri Apr 20 22:51:02 CEST 2007

Hello,

Aaron Griffin wrote:
> Hey all,
> I've looked through the archives, though not exhaustively, but I can't
> seem to find a windows based grab device for libavformat besides
> drffmpeg.
>
> I'm curious if anyone has actually done work on this, and if the
> ffmpeg people would be interested in this.  The reason being that I am
> currently writing a (commercial) app which does just this, and I was
> debating doing the reverse of ffdshow - that is, convert directshow
> style to ffmpeg, and not ffmpeg style to directshow.
>
> Has anyone done any work in this regard and/or would be interested in
> it if I were to throw something together?

I did VFW capture, and sent an unfinished patch to the mailinglist
earlier on this year (probably january or february).
I gave up on it, but it's being used somewhere in bbc.co.uk. I don't
have the final version anymore, it's somewhere on my older shut down
computer. I'd have to bring it back up...

If you can really convert directshow style to ffmpeg, that would be
nice. It will be hard though, since directshow style is quite ugly for
ffmpeg's standards. Also, remember that the code must compile on MinGW,
not MSVC++. When I tried that with MinGW, I had to change a bunch of
stuff in dshow.h.

Good luck,
Ramiro Polla