[Ffmpeg-devel] [OT] functional programming languages

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Wed Apr 18 20:25:51 CEST 2007

Hello,

gone completely off-topic, but...

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 06:17:22PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > While it has the best (or at least the most
> > interesting) design theory behind its operation, it ends up being slow
> > for large projects, apparently has some corner cases where it goes
> > into a near-infinite loop, and is implemented in Haskell -- making its
> > code mostly impenetrable to the average programmer who might be
> > interested in working on it.
>
> Haskell is only difficult if you cannot think in a functional
> language. Ok, maybe Haskell is not the right one to start,
> try maybe Scheme first (has one of the smallest language
> descriptions known to me). And IMHO every good coder should have
> at least once tryed a functional language.

Well, there are few languages that get as fast unreadable as the code
size grows as the functional languages IMO...
But regardless, since you seem to have some experience, can you suggest
something interactive to try out and/or use as calculator-replacement?
I'd wish for something with bash-like history handling capabilities. On
of the programs I found couldn't even handle the cursor keys - I
wouldn't have accepted that in a programming environment even 8 years ago...

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger