[Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump

Dave Dodge dododge
Wed Apr 18 16:06:44 CEST 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 09:55:01AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> Mozilla is a Windows project. In any case my comments stand; a program
> written in Python is inherently nonportable as long as the interpreter
> is.

True.

Do you have Java support on your target system?  Jython supposedly
implements Python in pure Java (it compiles Python to JVM bytecode).
I don't know if Mercurial would easily run on top of it, though.

> And writing your program in a RAD tool/prototyping/script language
> does not speak well for its quality.

Not sure I entirely agree with that.  For example if the program
needed to do a _lot_ of string processing, it would probably be easier
and clearer to use some higher-level language than plain C.

Aside: it could be worse; one of the main "competitors" to Mercurial
and GIT is Darcs.  While it has the best (or at least the most
interesting) design theory behind its operation, it ends up being slow
for large projects, apparently has some corner cases where it goes
into a near-infinite loop, and is implemented in Haskell -- making its
code mostly impenetrable to the average programmer who might be
interested in working on it.

                                                  -Dave Dodge