[Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Mon Apr 16 02:14:44 CEST 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 19:29:19 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 12:08:04AM +0200, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:33:14 -0700 (PDT)
> > Trent Piepho <xyzzy at speakeasy.org> wrote:

> > > There is another SCM called Mercurial that is very similar to git.  In some
> > > cases it is faster and in some slower.  However, it is less complex and
> > > easier to use.  There are few Linux kernel sub-systems (like v4l-dvb and
> > > ALSA) that use Mercurial for the project, and then export their patches
> > > upstream to git for inclusion in the kernel.
> > >
> > > They are both much better than svn.  diff, annotate, log, etc.  don't use a
> > > remote server and are far faster.  It's also much nicer for devs who don't
> > > have commit access.
> >
> > Absolutely agree.
> > A few interesting facts about Mercurial:
> >  - size of the whole ffmpeg history: 14 MB
> >  - size of a working directory (ie. the whole history + a full checkout):
> >    27 MB (to be compared to the 29 MB of a svn checkout which contains no
> >    history)
> >  - comparable speed to GIT
> >  - less complex than GIT
> >  - much better support for some plateform (namely win32) than GIT
>
> I'm opposed to Mercurial unless you're willing to write a portable
> implementation in C or Bourne shell + POSIX utils.

AFAIR, Python is written in portable C ;-)

> I don't have Python and it's not terribly portable...

Any example of relevant platform which is not supported ?
This list already seems pretty long and contains quite some "exotic" arch:
http://www.python.org/download/other/

> Also, FWIW, I'd strongly prefer systems that can be used fully online,
> without having to keep a full local copy of the repo. I often use
> machines that don't have hundreds of megabytes (or worse) of space
> free for a local copy of the repo... both old machines and shells with
> limited quotas. CVS->SVN already made my source trees grow 2x and I'd
> rather not have them grow 100x on top of that...

Reread the above points... A Mercurial checkout including full history
is smaller than a simple svn checkout !

FWIW, I'd strongly prefer systems that can be used fully offline,
with a full local copy of the repo. I often do some developments on
my laptop without network connection, and SVN is mostly useless in
such a situation.

Aurel