[Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Mon Apr 16 00:08:04 CEST 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:33:14 -0700 (PDT)
Trent Piepho <xyzzy at speakeasy.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > >
> > > Why don't just switch to GIT ? :) I wonder what does Michael thinks about it.
> >
> > main problem is i know very little about git
> > but iam surely in favor of getting rid of svn, ill move "learning git" a
> > little up in my todo list
>
> There is another SCM called Mercurial that is very similar to git.  In some
> cases it is faster and in some slower.  However, it is less complex and
> easier to use.  There are few Linux kernel sub-systems (like v4l-dvb and
> ALSA) that use Mercurial for the project, and then export their patches
> upstream to git for inclusion in the kernel.
>
> They are both much better than svn.  diff, annotate, log, etc.  don't use a
> remote server and are far faster.  It's also much nicer for devs who don't
> have commit access.

Absolutely agree.
A few interesting facts about Mercurial:
 - size of the whole ffmpeg history: 14 MB
 - size of a working directory (ie. the whole history + a full checkout):
   27 MB (to be compared to the 29 MB of a svn checkout which contains no
   history)
 - comparable speed to GIT
 - less complex than GIT
 - much better support for some plateform (namely win32) than GIT

For interested people, I maintain a Mercurial conversion of ffmpeg
repository available here: http://hg.gnuage.org/ffmpeg
You can simply grab it with: hg clone http://hg.gnuage.org/ffmpeg
Note that it has the same problem as the GIT conversion: it don't
include svn:externals.

For those who want to know a bit more about mercurial, you will learn
most of what you need in something like 1/4 hour in this tutorial:
  http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/Tutorial
And if you want a detailed documentation:
  http://hgbook.red-bean.com/
(BTW: AFAIK Mercurial also have a better and more complete documentation
than GIT)

Has you may have understood, switching to Mercurial would makes me very
happy, but I would already consider GIT a great improvement over SVN.

Aurel

PS: please be kind with my DSL connection ;-)