[Ffmpeg-devel] Creating releases

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm
Sat Apr 14 13:34:38 CEST 2007

Hi,

I know that ffmpeg prefers users to run the latest snapshots. But that
doesn't work so well for 3rd party projects (e.g. ffmpeg consumers)
and also not for packagers of various distributions.

I'm packaging ffmpeg for various Red Hat/Fedora distros and am talking
with several other packagers for the same distros on how to get our
bits together. Turns out that everyone has a different snapshot where
different features/bugs exist. Some have backported selected svn
fixes, or have patched up the sources themselves. I think (frequent)
releases would help out a lot.

I would volunteer to help creating formal releases, so that the ffmpeg
development doesn't get slowed down by additional workload. Probably
most of the release process could be automated enough to have often
enough releases to track the fast development pace of ffmpeg.

The choice when to cut a release would have to come from the
development team/head, though.

What do you think?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net