[Ffmpeg-devel] FFServer and RTSP

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Apr 11 15:42:42 CEST 2007

Hi

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 03:37:17PM +0200, Luca Abeni wrote:
[...]
> Even not considering the crashes, ffserver has some other "funny
> behaviour" when streaming RTP: for example, the first two frames read
> >from the file have the same PTSs and DTSs, sometimes resulting in a
> "error, non monotone timestamps 45000 >= 45000 st:1" error when trying
> to stream them (I say sometimes, because if the first PTS is 0 then the
> error does not occourr...). I think the error is due to the fact that
> the file is opened (with av_open_input_file()), but
> av_find_stream_info() is not invoked...
> Is it legal to open a file for reading (av_open_input_file()), and start
> reading frames from it without performing an av_find_stream_info()?

hmm, well, maybe, but it better to call av_find_stream_info()

> Anyway, it seems to me that ffserver is in a very bad shape regarding
> RTSP/RTS streaming...
> So I'd like to have an opinion from other people (an opinion from the
> official maintainer would be appreciated :): is there any hope in fixing
> ffserver for RTP streaming? (did it ever work, at least one time?).
> Or would it be simpler to start developing a new RTP streaming
> application from scratch? I am beginning to think the second option
> would require less work... :(

you want an oppinion from alex? (hmm rather wait for godot ...)
if you want my oppinion, i cant give any as i dont know the ffserver
source code well enough, i just know it is broken how much i dont know
fixing or rewriting it is of course very welcome

Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not
or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and
the brevity of human life -- Protagoras