[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] RGB48 support

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Apr 9 23:46:59 CEST 2007

Hi

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 08:16:30PM +0200, Ivo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I started working on RGB48 support (i.e. RGB with 16-bits per component).
> Before I go any further, I would like to know if I am on the right track
> with the changes I made. Did I forget something important?
>
> A few notes/questions:
> * If my current approach is right, I will add all (now) missing rgb<n>to48
> and vice versa so the rgb2Wrapper will always work.
> * The changes I made to imgconvert are necessary because ffmpeg (indirectly)
> relies on several avpicture_* functions.
> * I noticed that if I disable swscaler and feed rgb48 data to imgconvert,
> ffmpeg goes mental (enormous amounts of swapping/trashing). How can I avoid
> that without implementing converters for imgconvert?
> * Currently, swscaler warns about yuv2rgb not supporting 48bpp even if I
> convert from rgb to rgb. I suppose adding yuv2rgb48 (and possible vice
> versa) will resolve that.
>
> Any comments?

the only thing in swscale which you must implement is the new format->yuv
code, swscale uses yuv internally (see svn log of swscale for some examples
on how other formats where added)

the rgb->rgb code is optional but surely a good idea ...

also the rgb48->yuv can be done in 2 ways
A. -> 8bit based yuv
B. -> internal yuv (which uses >8bits per component) but will need
   slightly more work, also theres no example in svn for this yet ...

PS: this has nothing to do with yuv2rgb*.c ! the code you need to change is
in swscale*

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato