[Ffmpeg-devel] channel ordering and downmixing

Andreas Öman andreas
Mon Apr 9 18:02:07 CEST 2007

Hi,

Justin Ruggles wrote:

> Decoding:
> If required, the decoder sets AVCodecContext->channel_layout to the
> channel layout of the input audio stream.  If downmixing is done in the
> decoder (current situation), the final downmixed channel layout is
> considered the input layout.

It would be nice, at least for interactive applications, to be able
to retrieve the original channel layout, for presentation purposes.
But perhaps the long term idea is that no codec should perform its own
downmixing? Either way, I suggest that we add an additional pointer
AVCodecContext->original_channel_layout (or something) that is never
messed with by any (codec internal) downmixers at all.

Just my two cents...