[Ffmpeg-devel] Intra-frame rate control

RLopez rlopez
Fri Apr 6 06:29:49 CEST 2007

Hi Michael,

If avcodec.lib can only change Q values at picture boundaries for MPEG2
files that's a huge limitation.  The advantage of MPEG2 over MJPEG is the
ability to change the Q in the middle of an image.  A common clip people use
to show this off is a field of daisies under a blue sky.  The blue sky can
be encoded well with a high Q value while the more complex field of daisies
portion of the image can be encoded with a lower Q value.

Another problem I'm seeing caused by avcodec.lib only changing Q values at
picture boundaries is that the instantaneous bitrate of an encoded clip
jumps around too much.  For example when a complex image follows several
black frames the bitrate skyrockets because the rate controller lowered the
Q during the black frames and doesn't readjust it until the end of the
complex frame.  This problem is especially bad when working with HD images.

If I'm correct that avcodec.lib will only change Q values at picture
boundaries, could someone point me to which files I could modify to change
this?  I assume mpegvideo.c would be the main one.

Rudy