[Ffmpeg-devel] new grab interface breaks bktr grabing

Piero Bugoni crboca32
Tue Apr 3 23:56:09 CEST 2007

--- Nikns Siankin <nikns at secure.lv> wrote:

> First I tried:
> ffmpeg -y -f bktr -i /dev/bktr0 -an -vcodec wmv2
> -tvstd pal /root/test.wmv
> /dev/bktr0: Error while opening file
>
> Then I remembered that even with old ffmpeg there
> was such error if no frame
> size specified, but running:
> ffmpeg -y -f bktr -i /dev/bktr0 -an -vcodec wmv2
> -tvstd pal -s cif /root/test.wmv
> didn't help either.
>
> Hovewer, specifying "-s" in front of args finnaly
> started capturing:
> ffmpeg -y -s cif -f bktr -i /dev/bktr0 -an -vcodec
> wmv2 -tvstd pal /root/test.wmv

[...]

> Anyone have success grabing from bktr with new grab
> interface?

Thanks for this. I have been using ffmpeg for a while
on Slackware Linux, but just set it up today on
FreeBSD 6.2. I referred back to your info to get
grabbing to work. (The command line is different from
Linux. I might have fucked around for hours trying to
get it to work without this info.)

The kernel was rebuilt to remove all unnecessary
drivers, and bktr built in statically. (The box was an
old  450MHz PIII with 128M RAM, so it was pared down
to minimum, just to be sure. The bktr driver
complained about unable to allocate memory when loaded
with kldload, but seemed to load ok when loaded at
boot with  loader.conf. The card was a LW-104 --aka
Pico2000 ebay special).

I used SVN-r8618, downloaded today.

This command worked:
./ffmpeg -y -s cif -f bktr -i /dev/bktr0 -an  -tvstd
ntsc test.mpg

(Although I got this repeating error message that I
think has to do with the bktr driver):

SLEPT NO signals - xxxx microseconds late

Generally speaking, the video looked OK.

I do not know if this is an issue for ffmpeg-user, or
not, so I mention it here.

Piero.