[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] rename xvid to xvid_encoder

Jeff Clagg snacky
Fri Sep 29 23:01:37 CEST 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 10:54:34PM +0200, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 08:36:37PM +0200, Benjamin Larsson wrote:
> >
> >>Hi, some users misstakenly try to enable the xvid flag in hope to get a
> >>ffmpeg capable of decoding xvid. So I propose that we rename and clarify
> >>that it's not needed in the configure scripts and elsewhere.
> >>
> >>Any comments about that ?
> >>

> >ive no objecton but what about x264, lame, faac, ...
> >they should then also get encoder/decoder clarifications ...
> >

> I didn't think of that but I agree it would be consistent and
> informative to the users.

I agree that there should also be a clarification for x264, not for
consistency reasons, but because the point really needs clearing up.

It's something wrong with the users' brains that causes this: many
people seem to believe they need x264 to decode videos that were encoded
with it. Of course, this is even sillier than the xvid misconception,
since the xvid project actually has a decoder, and x264 does not.