[Ffmpeg-devel] XviD support

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml
Tue Sep 19 19:36:02 CEST 2006

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Say,
>
> does XviD support for encoding make sense nowadays?  People in #ffmpeg
> keep asking questions about adding XviD support when all they want is
> MPEG-4 decoding ...

XviD is useful for fairly fast and high quality encoding. According to
what I've seen, it takes a lot more CPU time to make lavc MPEG-4 meet or
exceed XviD's quality.

I do not know if many ffmpeg users use XviD, though.

Nobody start a flamewar over whether lavc MPEG-4 or XviD is better; they
are strong in slightly different applications, and we've been over it
before. :)

Also, now that I think about it, lavc's xvidrc depends on XviD.

-Corey