[Ffmpeg-devel] overall license review - adding proper license headers

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Tue Sep 5 17:09:45 CEST 2006

Hello,
On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 04:00:12PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 09:20:23AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > I'm strongly in favor of removing license/copyright bs from all of
> > them, otherwise it just strengthens the misconception that files like
> > this can be copyrighted.
>
> I tend to agree, but to be completely honest, I don't think it's worth
> the time.  This whole licensing review has been a bit of an effort

I do not agree at all. It is not evident that these files will be
non-copyrightable in all jurisdictions and forever, courts tend
to change their opinions on stuff that has only crappily written laws to
support them...
If we really believe they aren't IMHO the only other acceptable way
would be to explicitly say that we do not consider them to be
copyrightable preferably with a fallback if somewhen they are considered
that regardless of our opinions.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger