[Ffmpeg-devel] help on forcing rgb555 with 16bpp

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet reynaldo
Thu Oct 26 20:14:38 CEST 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 07:37:30PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Colors are wrong, i haven't digged deeper on it but is surely my
> > demuxer's fault and not raw's. Anyway, what im trying to discuss here is
> > the real _need_ to fake bpp, wouldn't that ruin decoding with third
> > party libs?
>
> what third party libs?

libs/apps, my mistake, sorry.

> > why don't you want to allow, just allow, demuxers to
> > hint pix_fmt when autdetection is unreliable?
>
> because its a dirty hack and it opens a can of worms, it would cause
> people to simply set the pix_fmt in the demuxers (yeah why not it works...)

Ok, that would be enough for me to stop bugging with this, althought
what I do consider a hack is the current 'Ill try to guess even when
I know my judgement cant be trusted' behavior I have no better option
than the one I failed to justify.

> and that would force all muxers to convert the pix_fmt back into codec_tag+
> whatever else is needed like the bpp
> if you want to propose that then send a patch and depending on how that looks
> it can be disscussed but a change which allows raw something which does at
> the same time fail with all muxers is not ok
> also you would need to update the API docs in avcodec.h and increase the
> version number

Would it be too much to ask you for some candidate codec_tags to add
to raw.c for RGB555, RGB565? i dont want to lie and use 15bpp to force
correct autodetection.

Thanks for your time again.

	Reynaldo