[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Suspected GPL violation by Erightsoft "super"

Alexey Sidelnikov avs99
Thu Oct 26 04:12:04 CEST 2006

Hello!

> Still, their product is proprietary,
> and they insist on it. I tried to get
> the source through their forum, but they
> of course won't give it:
>
> http://www.erightsoft.net/Supforum.html
> Christoph

Following your discussion on that forum, can I ask you GPL-related
question please? As it is said here:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation

"We believe that a proper criterion depends both on the mechanism of
communication (exec, pipes, rpc, function calls within a shared address
space, etc.) and the semantics of the communication (what kinds of
information are interchanged).

If the modules are included in the same executable file, they are
definitely combined in one program. If modules are designed to run
linked together in a shared address space, that almost surely means
combining them into one program.

By contrast, pipes, sockets and command-line arguments are communication
mechanisms normally used between two separate programs. So when they are
used for communication, the modules normally are separate programs."

Well, from the first and third paragraphs I'd say it is clear that I can
use ffmpeg.exe in non-GPL program, do you agree? I mean, just call it
with some command line, and take its output.

The second paragraph explicitly prohibits "modules including in one EXE
file", but I'd say it does not have the meaning of packing into 1
zip/exe file, what would you say? If I provide 1 exe file with ffmpeg
which runs, after decompression, as a separate process - is it violation
of GPL license?

I'm sorry if this is not fully appropriate place to discuss these
issues.. but I'm just curious ;)

Thanks,

Alexey