[Ffmpeg-devel] Mac OSX debug build problems

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Oct 24 23:19:26 CEST 2006

Hi

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 11:04:00PM +0200, Anders Moden wrote:

> 24 okt 2006 kl. 22.23 skrev Guillaume Poirier:
>

> >On Oct 24, 2006, at 9:37 , Anders Moden wrote:
> >
> >>Hi !
> >>
> >>Why is it always a lot of problems using --disable-strip --disable-
> >>opts
> >>
> >>I am always stuck in a situation where I need to debug the code.
> >>On OSX I always get
> >>
> >>cc -I/Users/amo/ffmpeg/libswscale   -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -
> >>D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_ISOC9X_SOURCE -I/
> >>Users/amo/ffmpeg -I/Users/amo/ffmpeg -I/Users/amo/ffmpeg/libavutil
> >>-I/Users/amo/faad2/include -no-cpp-precomp -pipe -
> >>force_cpusubtype_ALL -Wno-sign-compare -g -Wdeclaration-after-
> >>statement -Wall -Wno-switch -Wdisabled-optimization -Wpointer-
> >>arith -Wredundant-decls -Winline -mdynamic-no-pic  -c -o cabac.o
> >>cabac.c
> >>In file included from cabac.c:32:
> >>cabac.h: In function 'get_cabac_noinline':
> >>cabac.h:525: error: can't find a register in class 'GENERAL_REGS'
> >>while reloading 'asm'
> >>make[1]: *** [cabac.o] Error 1
> >>make: *** [lib] Error 2
> >>
> >>somewhere. Either mmx or swscale. The mmx stuff can be disabled,
> >>but the swscale can not.
> >
> >CFLAGS+=-fomit-pointer
>
> Nope. I can get it to compile without using -O3 on some files

-O0 with the x86 asm or mmx code does NOT compile, ask the gcc developers
why, its a known issue, there is no solution except the obvious dont use
-O0, dont use mmx/asm, fix/change the compiler, i also dont think
-fomit-frame-pointer will help, though yes its mandatory if you want asm/mmx
again its a gcc issue, if you have any other solutions patches would be
welcome as long as there is _no_ speedloss

> >Oh, and btw, user questions belong to the users ml
>
> Thanx. I must say that it is pretty hard to get into this project as
> many questions on the user forum never get answered and on the devel
> forum you must be part of some elite...

there are many many questions and too few people who have the time and
knowledeg to awnser them, theres also the issue that most questions lack
90% of the information needed to awnsr them
volunteers to help the ffmpeg users are certainly welcome ...

> Anyway. Its a great library but perhaps not that friendly to external
> developers...

do you have any suggestions how we could improve that (note spending more
time isnt an option we dont have more ...)