[Ffmpeg-devel] VP6 encoder

Rich Felker dalias
Mon Oct 23 22:53:09 CEST 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 09:36:55PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> it would be interresting to see some comparission of x264 (8x8dct+cabac+all
> the other goodies), snow (with iterative me), mpeg4 asp (with all the things
> like trellis quant enabled) and dirac in PSNR per bitrate and subjective
> quality per bitrate (double blind testing style)
>
> ive never tested snow against h.264, so i cant speak about that but when
> compared against mpeg4 asp, snow had noticable better quality

Some anime encoding gurus tested it and concluded that x264 produced
much better results than the others they tried. I'm talking legit
tests, not doom9-type nonsense. :)

> i tend to have a weird feeling if i hear people claiming "almost on par"
> and such, at least vc-1 and Chinese AVS have their own "as good as h.264"
> claim ...

Haha yeah..

> > The problem is still the speed of course. It's one of the major
> > reasons they are also working on hardware I guess.
> >
> > I would like to point out the true commitment the BBC is making here.
> > Many people don't seem to realize that the BBC has vowed to make
> > their entire production chain Open Source wherever possible. If they
> > have to by developing everything themselves. MXF/GXF/Dirac,
>
> why exactly dont they use nut or matroska, or hell even avi, mpeg-ps or mov
> MXF/GXF are not really containers i would use if i had the choice

Indeed. MXF is utter crap.

> source code sorry, if someone wants to help documenting the algorithms
> or wants to try other algorithms, all that is very welcome ...

The source is pretty easy to follow if you know the principles behind
wavelets and the 'lifting' algorithm.

Rich