[Ffmpeg-devel] converting from ogg vorbis hangs

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Tue Oct 17 01:23:39 CEST 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:28:02 -0700
"Kevin M. Goess" <cpan at goess.org> wrote:

> We were recently testing ffmpeg for ogg-to-mp3 translation and happened
> to find that ffmpeg hangs on any of the ogg vorbis files that KDE uses
> for its system sounds, like /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Beep_Car.ogg.  The CPU
> is at 100%, but ffmpeg never exits.
>
> It seems to happen for any of the KDE files, and it seems to happen for
> any output format.  Other .ogg files can convert just fine.
>
> Any ideas why this might be happening?

The attached patch fixes this issue. I don't know anything about ogg so I
can't tell for sure if it's the right fix, but at least, it seems consistent
with other part of the code.

The infinite loop was introduced by this commit:
r5814 | reimar | 2006-07-23 20:19:33 +0200 (Sun, 23 Jul 2006) | 3 lines

Try to find out correct start time to make seeking faster and add some
extra checks to make sure the seeking function will not hang forever.

Aurel