[Ffmpeg-devel] Release process/project/effort

Attila Kinali attila
Fri Oct 6 22:01:27 CEST 2006

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:34:39 -0400
Dana Hudes <dhudes at hudes.org> wrote:

> I think the very first resource we need is a separate mailing list.
> ffmpeg-devel is a wonderfully busy place and I think that we need to not
> add to the volume and also not get buried in patches though lately the
> former is more the problem.

Ask Mans, he's the maintainer of the ml system.
(i really have to get him to document this)

> Discussion of the particular CM process for releases....well, on the one
> hand I welcome input on the other I'm the one volunteering to do the
> releases. If someone else would like to volunteer in my place or to work
> with me (its always nice to have at least 2 so if one is sick/on
> vacation/unavailable the other can fill in) that's great and that
> individual should contact me off-list to coordinate/discuss arrangements.

A little hint from my side, because i think you are quite new
to the way how OSS works: always say what you are doing and
why you are doing it. Otherwise people will shoot you.
Also don't play with restrictions or such, but with policies.
The people around ffmpeg and mplayer are quite reasonable,
if you tell them not to do something, they wont.
(eg every ffmpeg resp mplayer developer has write access to
the mplayer resp ffmpeg repository. It never was a problem,
because everyone sticks to the rule not to commit code
that doesn't belong to him)

If you play this game with open cards and open permissions,
you'll have a good chance to be successfull.

				Attila Kinali

PS: yes, really think of it as a game, otherwise you'll get
gray hair until the end of the year.

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu