[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Advocating periodic releases

Diego Biurrun diego
Fri Oct 6 17:54:35 CEST 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 05:04:59PM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:

> BTW, I'm really pleased with svn. The history past the current revision is
> useless in 99% of normal cases, and I've seen it handle just about
> anything I threw at it perfectly. The only thing it doesn't support easily
> is the moving of files/directories across repositories, an action which
> can't even be easily defined anyway and doesn't really make sense. (If you
> disagree, try to think what is the best way for this to be done, and
> you'll find that everyone has a different opinion on this...)

I agree completely.  So far Subversion has served us very well.  This
seems to get overlooked when the discussion comes to its *one* real
shortcoming, which is cross-repository commits/moves (or whatever you
wish to call them).

This issue is being addressed in any case.  I will start working on
merging the MPlayer and FFmpeg repositories as soon as I find the time
to do it.  The issue of moving things from one place to another will be
solved then.

Also, Subversion 1.4 introduces svnsync, a tool which seems to do just
what we need.  I haven't had the time to investigate so far, though, so
I'm not making any promises.

Diego