[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Advocating periodic releases

Attila Kinali attila
Fri Oct 6 11:16:25 CEST 2006

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 02:53:46 -0400
Dana Hudes <dhudes at hudes.org> wrote:

> >> As for the vehicle for all this, sourceforge would seem the right place.
> >
> > That choice is bound to be controversial - the project left
> > sourceforge some time ago due to dissatisfaction with the quality of
> > its facilities. I would have thought there would be room within the
> > existing mplayerhq infrastructure for this.

There is room. The machine is meant to be enough for the next
few years, so it would be really a shame if we had to go
back to sf for this :)

> I don't have any particular connection to mplayerhq.

Having a connection to ffmpeg is enough ;)

> I would rather try
> to use some separate facility. I don't know what the problem was with
> sourceforge.

Slownes, problems with cvs not working, slownes, etc pp.

sf is nice if you have a small project and you dont have
the financial support for your own server infrastructure.
ffmpeg (and mplayer) is quite a big project and needs a bit
more than sf can give us. And because we are big, we can
get some support to run our own infrastructure.

Mind you, i'm not saying that sf is bad, it's just not
suited for us.

BTW: sf cvs got twice as fast after ffmpeg switched to
the mphq cvs server :-)

So, if you need anything on mphq, ask Diego, Mans or me.
If it's somewhat reasonable, we'll see that you get it.

				Attila Kinali

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu