[Ffmpeg-devel] H.264 encoder

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg
Wed Oct 4 13:02:13 CEST 2006

Hi Takis,

On 6/6/06, Panagiotis Issaris <takis.issaris at uhasselt.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A while ago we sent a message to this mailinglist, announcing the fact
> that we were working on a H.264 encoder for libavcodec. We have released
> a new patch, which is available at the following location:
> http://research.edm.uhasselt.be/h264/

I was wondering what would it take to replace the entropy encoder
"cabac" with FFmpeg's range coder?
The idea would be to benefit from H264's cool features without the
slowness of CABAC.
Off course, the resulting streams won't be true H.264 files, but they
should be much quicker to decode on low-end machines.

I meant to try to do this with x264, but never had the time to do this...

Guillaume
--
With DADVSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADVSI), France finally has
a lead on USA on selling out individuals right to corporations!