[Ffmpeg-devel] Decode a RTP stream in H.263

Cool_Zer0 c00jz3r0
Thu Nov 30 11:05:22 CET 2006

Hi there!

I have a question. I've look on the documentation sectional of FFMpeg page
and check the code but I can't figured it out.

My main purpose, for now, is decode H.263, that I receive by RTP, and then
show it on my PDA screen.

So... I already have the RTP stack and I can extract the encoded H.263packet.

My main question when I look through "libavcodec/h263dec.c" is that you have
a decode_init(), a decode_end() and then a decode_frame(). (I think I'm
right!!!)

And now the ultimate question:
- Can I call decode_frame() for each packet that I receive?
- What will happen if the packet that I received doesn't contain the
complete frame?

Another question:

On decode_init() you have:

/* select sub codec */
switch(avctx->codec->id) {
   case CODEC_ID_H263: ...
   case CODEC_ID_MPEG4: ...
   case CODEC_ID_MSMPEG4V1: ...
   case CODEC_ID_FLV1: ...

I'm wondering if that switch is to say: "The result of the decoding process
will be a [MPEG4, WMV3, ...]".... Can't I say that I want the result on YUV
or RGB?

Thanks for your help.