[Ffmpeg-devel] [patch] rc buffer bits reservation for I-frames

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg
Fri Nov 24 17:19:53 CET 2006

Hi,

On 11/24/06, Jindrich Makovicka <makovick at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/24/06, Guillaume Poirier <gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu> wrote:
> > Maybe I'm not getting the point, but wouldn't it be better to fix
> > whatever is wrong with the RC decisions at tight bitrate constrains
> > rather than adding "yet another custom-fitted option" ?
>
> I am not sure how to do this 100% properly. You probably would have to
> buffer all the frames up to the next scene change, encode the
> following I-frame and then encode the previous I/B frames. But using
> the size of the previous I-frame works quite well.

How come 2-pass can't help here? The way I understand 2-pass, is that
it's a way given to the codec to "see the future".
2-pass should give you a rough estimate that allows you to make do
without buffering at all, can't it?

> > x264'RC being as good as it is, wouldn't it be nice to borrow some of
> > the ideas from there and put them in lavc's RC?
> > Alternatively, would it be possible to import x264's RC just like
> > xvid's RC was imported?
>
> Actually, we observe the same problem with x264. I sent a similar
> patch to x264 ML, with no response.

:-(

Guillaume
--
With DADVSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADVSI), France finally has
a lead on USA on selling out individuals right to corporations!