[Ffmpeg-devel] [patch] rc buffer bits reservation for I-frames

Guillaume Poirier gpoirier
Fri Nov 24 17:06:59 CET 2006

Hi,

Jindrich Makovicka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when using a short RC buffer and tight bitrate restrictions (typically
> when encoding for DVB), the rate control sometimes tends to use too
> much bits for P-frames, and when an I-frame gets encoded, there is not
> enough bits available, causing a sudden quality decrease.
>
> The attached patch adds an option to reserve a specified multiple of
> the last I-frame size in the RC buffer. Default value if 0, i.e.
> unchanged from the current state.

Maybe I'm not getting the point, but wouldn't it be better to fix
whatever is wrong with the RC decisions at tight bitrate constrains
rather than adding "yet another custom-fitted option" ?

x264'RC being as good as it is, wouldn't it be nice to borrow some of
the ideas from there and put them in lavc's RC?
Alternatively, would it be possible to import x264's RC just like
xvid's RC was imported?

just my 2c

Guillaume