[Ffmpeg-devel] nightly Subversion snapshots

Loren Merritt lorenm
Thu Nov 23 11:37:06 CET 2006

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 09:40 +0100, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>>
>> "We also provide nightly Subversion snapshots. You can choose between
>> a full checkout that you can update with Subversion or bare sources
>> that are smaller but don't come with Subversion metadata."
>
> That's not relevant since the reason for the version without metadata is
> the smaller size. Including the version number would not increase size
> noticeably.
>
> BTW it would be possible to have a smaller source package with
> subversion metadata by not shipping the "working copy" version of the
> files. The user would then need to run "svn revert -R . libswscale"
> (libswscale mentioned separately because it's external) after unpacking
> to regenerate the files. Probably not worth it though.

If you just want to reduce the download size, then modify the order of
files in the tarball such that each working copy appears next to the svn
backup of the same file, so they can get compressed together. This is
still not quite as small as the no-svn version, but doesn't require any
changes to the use of the archive.

find ffmpeg-checkout-2006-11-23 -type f -o -empty > unsort.txt
sort unsort.txt > sort.txt
perl -e '%v = map {$p=0+/prop(s|-base)/; m#(.*/)([^/]+\n)#;\
                    ($_ => "$p $2$1")} <>;\
          print sort {$v{$a} cmp $v{$b}} keys %v;'\
          unsort.txt > sort2.txt
tar cjf unsort.tar.bz2 -T unsort.txt
tar cjf sort.tar.bz2 -T sort.txt
tar cjf sort2.tar.bz2 -T sort2.txt