[Ffmpeg-devel] I'm giving up

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Wed Nov 22 10:31:50 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 14:59 +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> I'd like to say though that at the rate that ffmpeg evolves 50 lines of
> only suboptimal code will become 500 lines of mess in no time. Look at
> some of the code in MPlayer (e.g. mplayer.c) if you need "proof"...

I think mplayer.c isn't a good example. The mess there was more a result
of a misguided development policy that discouraged all "cosmetic"
changes rather than a result of patches that were "suboptimal code" by
themselves. mplayer.c is an example of what you get when you add each
new feature as a minimally intrusive patch and avoid rewriting, moving
or even reindenting existing code unless it's strictly necessary.