[Ffmpeg-devel] [BUG] garbled sound when playing 8kHz MP3s

Måns Rullgård mru
Thu Nov 16 00:36:35 CET 2006

Stefan Gehrer <stefan.gehrer at gmx.de> writes:

> Stefan Gehrer wrote:
>>>
>>> is there any decoder besides lame which can decode it? if no then
>>> i would guess that the bug is in lame though thats just a guess (1
>>> buggy program vs.  2 buggy programs)
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>> Actually yes, there is. It is just not publicly available. But I
>> recently had to test
>> an embedded decoder solution and compared it with open source decoders.
>> The decoder under test and lame succeeded, ffplay/mplayer/mpg123 failed
>> on the (lame-encoded) 8kHz sample. And I can assure you that the decoder
>> under test did not have any code common with lame.
>> I also came across this recently with a file from the Internet, I
>> will see if I can
>> dig out a link. Of course I would not know if this was lame-encoded
>> or not.
>>
> You can find some 8kHz mp3s with described behaviour here:
> http://www.addicks.net/astcrapper2k/

FWIW, libmad has no problem with those files.  A hardware decoder (IBM
Vulcan) doesn't seem to be liking them at all.  I can't be bothered to
try the other hardware decoders I have.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com