[Ffmpeg-devel] moving non-SIMD parts of libswscale to LGPL

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Nov 15 20:03:22 CET 2006

Hi

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 07:16:14PM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> >>Oh, I'm quite aware of the theory. But it covers *distribution*, not
> >>*development* aspects.
> >>
> >>Let's assume someone here tables a proposal to change everything to GPL.
> >
> >Are you aware of the fact that FFmpeg was once GPL but was relicensed to
> >LGPL later on.  IIRC under somewhat shady circumstances, I'd appreciate
> >mailing list archive links.

fabrice asked everyone per private email before the GPL->LGPL switch
everyone agreed (after some disscussions flames and such) if anyone
was forgoten or did not awnser is unknown to me (but i dont remember
anyone complaining that he hasnt been asked ...)

> svn log COPYING shows it added, with LGPL, on 2002-05-26 by glantau.
> Before that, anyone remembers which file indicated the license?

the ones which contain the code do at their top ...

[...]
> >>What will the decision process be?
> >
> >You will not be a part of it, that's for sure.
>
> Interesting. Who will be, selected on what basis?

whos ffmpeg do you mean? the one on your harddisk can be switched to GPL
at your decission, the one on mine is switched to GPL if i decide so
now the one in ffmpeg svn can be switched to GPL by anyone with write
access (though he would likely loose that access if he does that change
to files not written by him)