[Ffmpeg-devel] moving non-SIMD parts of libswscale to LGPL

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Wed Nov 15 18:53:39 CET 2006

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 11:54:14AM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>>> Acceptable by whom exactly?
>> What would the decision process be? Michael only? Committers only?
>> Contributors only? Unanimity, majority?
>
> Answer my question.

Answer mine.

>>> This "moral contract" is something you have just made up out of thin
>>> air.
>> You dont make up a moral contract, there is always one, even if
>> implicit.
>
> Sure, but that this moral contract consists of using the LGPL (and
> keeping it forever) is something that you have just made up out of thin
> air.

Answer the question: by what formal process would a change of this
importance be decided?

>>> The authors of the code are free to decide the licensing without
>>> any regard to whether the outcome pleases you or not.
>> Authorship being attributed how?
>
> As if authorship were hard to attribute ..
>
> Quick reminder: You are not among the authors.

Check CONTRIBUTORS. The patch that added me to it had to be vetted. Is
that file actually meaningless?

> And this is what irks me so much here.  Your contributions to FFmpeg are
> minor at best, yet you constantly fret about the directions this project
> is taking (or not) and try to influence it.

I have been in disagreement with Michael on a lot of issues, but if/when
he gets tired, that's for him to say, he doesnt need anyone to filter
his calls.

Its true I dont have contributed much code yet, but learning to code to
Michael's standards is hard!

I try to help insofar as I am able, and yes currently its mostly
fielding newbie stupid questions in -user. Is that completely useless?
Then I'll stop.

As for 'constantly' about 'the directions' (which implies ALL the
directions), that is vastly exaggerated.

--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director
E mailto:mbardiaux at mediaxim.be