[Ffmpeg-devel] moving non-SIMD parts of libswscale to LGPL

Diego Biurrun diego
Wed Nov 15 18:24:59 CET 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 11:46:03AM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> >>If someone's goal is to force a mutation of the license to GPL, that is
> >>not acceptable.
> >
> >as diego said acceptable by whom?
> >if we choose to change the license to GPL then so be it, actually any
> >single person can fork ffmpeg and change it to GPL and continue development
> >on that GPL version,
>
> Oh, I'm quite aware of the theory. But it covers *distribution*, not
> *development* aspects.
>
> Let's assume someone here tables a proposal to change everything to GPL.

Are you aware of the fact that FFmpeg was once GPL but was relicensed to
LGPL later on.  IIRC under somewhat shady circumstances, I'd appreciate
mailing list archive links.

> What will happen?

You will flame.

> What will the decision process be?

You will not be a part of it, that's for sure.

> Who gets to keep the unqualified name 'ffmpeg'? The www.ffmpeg.org domain?

This is owned by Fabrice.

Diego