[Ffmpeg-devel] Parallelizing the h.264 Decoder

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Nov 14 01:02:12 CET 2006

Hi

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 01:20:50PM -0700, Loren Merritt wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Philip Peter wrote:
[...]
> >With the current sources would it be possible to first decode the cabac
> >for all macroblocks (preferably split over a few cores) and then do the
> >rest of the decoding process?
>
> The simple way to do this with the current sources would be to duplicate
> the dct, mvd, and other arrays which currently only store 1 macroblock at
> a time. Which would take about 3 times as much memory as a frame itself.
> The only way I can see to reduce that memory is to synchronize the threads
> more often so you don't have to store as many macroblocks.

hmm, what if the dct coefficients where stored in "bitstream" order in
run, level style, that way the amount of memory needed would depend on the
frame complexity and probably be significantly less, or do i miss something
why this isnt possible?