[Ffmpeg-devel] moving non-SIMD parts of libswscale to LGPL

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Mon Nov 13 15:59:52 CET 2006

Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 12:35:42PM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>>> Leave them as GPL.
>> From the first day there was talk of swscale, I was afraid it would end
>> like this. With the removal of img_resample and that licensing, the LGPL
>> version becomes a second-class implementation.
>
> It does not change the current situation at all, so I don't see a reason
> to be much annoyed over it.

Only if the pure-C swscale is faster than img_resample with the MMX
optimisations.

>> There is not much I can do, but I dont have to like it.
>
> There is a lot you can do, like writing LGPL SIMD or trying to convince
> the authors to allow relicensing as LGPL.

Difficult to do both: to contact the authors, one has to dig in the
sources, but to rewrite a LGPL version of the SIMD code, better keep a
'clean room' approach. But the latter is likely to be impossible, so
there is no solution.

> But yes, the LPGL version
> lacks quite some features, when there is the decision between getting a
> feature under the GPL or not at all, I have no problem at all with the
> former. Those who have should speak up in time,

The agenda was not stated that clearly. Yes, with hindsight, its clear,
but it wasnt at the time.

> and towards the
> authors, you can't expect others to argue for something that is not
> their goal...

If someone's goal is to force a mutation of the license to GPL, that is
not acceptable.

> And just to state my opinion: decoders and demuxers by all means should
> be LGPL'd, everything else I wouldn't mind if it was GPL-only.

I would. The moral contract for ffmpeg is LGPL, and should remain so.

Greetings,
--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director