[Ffmpeg-devel] moving non-SIMD parts of libswscale to LGPL

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Mon Nov 13 14:19:26 CET 2006

Hi Michael,

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 19:32 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 03:47:16PM +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
[...]
> > But swscale.c and swscale_template.c use some tables that are contained
> > in yuv2rgb.c... Since (I think - please correct me if I am wrong) tables
> > are not copyrightable, I linked them in the LGPL version of the
>
> IANAL, tables are copyrightable, what is not copyrightable are things which
> are solutions to specific problems, like the ratio between
> the circumference and the radius of a circle or the key to decrypt some
> message, or such, again IANAL
Ok, thanks for clarifying... I was oversimplifying things as usual :)

[...]
> ive copy and pasted the tables from the mpeg4 spec below ...
>

> if video_range=0:
>                      n-8          n-4
>        Y  = ( 219 * 2   * EY ) + 2 .
>                      n-8           n-1
>        Cb = ( 224 * 2   * EPB ) + 2
>                      n-8           n-1
>        Cr = ( 224 * 2   * EPR ) + 2
[...]
Thanks for the explaination... I am going to study it, and see if I can
come out with a proper replacement of the yuv --> rgb tables from
yuv2rgb.c... But I'll need some time to study this stuff.

There are also other tables in yuv2rgb.c that are used in swscale.c
(dither_2x2_4, dither_2x2_8, etc...). I'll look at them after the yuv 2
rgb tables.

			Thanks,
				Luca