[Ffmpeg-devel] Externally visible symbols without ff or av prefix

Måns Rullgård mru
Sun Nov 12 04:17:09 CET 2006

Aurelien Jacobs <aurel at gnuage.org> writes:

> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 02:45:19 +0100
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 09:32:22PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> > There are quite a few symbols in libav* without an ff or av prefix.
>> > Should we be doing something about that?
>>
>> for the ones which arent used outside ff* just rename them whenever
>> you want

I assume if they're not declared in the installed headers, renaming
should be safe.

> IMO, for those one (ie. the one which are not part of public API),
> the problem is not their name, but the fact that they are visible
> externally.
> I don't think renaming them is a so good idea. Making them invisible
> seems to be a better idea (using the visibility attribute ?).

We already had a flame war about the visibility attribute.  Besides,
the visibility attribute, or the equivalent using linker scripts, only
works for shared libraries.  We should still rename them so the static
libs don't pollute the namespace.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com