[Ffmpeg-devel] Getting rid of inlining failure warnings

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Nov 9 17:26:36 CET 2006

Hi

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 11:41:53AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 03:41:13PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > rdtsc and emms should be smaller if inlined then if called, if you are brave
> > and after verifying that the instructions are smaller or equal then a call
> > then submit a bugreport to the gcc devels
> > but they will probably close it with some comment like gcc cant count
> > instructions in an asm (probably claiming that it is fundamentally impossible
> > to do or some other similar ridiculous statement)
>
> It's not ridiculous. Counting instructions requires actually
> assembling the block (think of horrible things like gas macros...)

true but, we all would be happy if it worked on plain flat asm code ...

> which isn't done until after compiling. gcc could however use the
> number of newlines in the string as a crude heuristic..

actually its a pretty accurate heuristic, and was what i had in mind too
and IMHO more then good enough for deciding if something should be
inlined or not
giving the user a way to tell the compiler how big a asm
block will be is another simple solution