[Ffmpeg-devel] Encoding multichannel audio with ffmpeg

Alessandro Grassi rambo9289
Mon Nov 6 21:34:26 CET 2006

Hi, this is my first request to ffmpeg-devel. I hope you can help me.
I want to encode multichannel audio with ffmpeg.
I found that in ffmpeg.c at line 2968 encoding of formats other than AC3 and
DTS is limited to stereo.
If I try to allow 5.1 encoding in AAC or WAV format the channel order in
encoded files is wrong. For example, when decoding AC3 to WAV the channel
order of the AC3 is preserved in the WAV, while it requires a different
order.
I found on the web that the right channel order forsome formats is this:
AC3: LFE L C R SL SR
WAV: L R C LFE SL SR
AAC: C L R SL SR LFE
To properly encode multichannel audio ffmpeg would need something to
correctly reorder channels depending on input and output formats.
I don't know how to do that. Does someone?