[Ffmpeg-devel] 4XM audio codec_tag

Måns Rullgård mru
Mon Nov 6 19:52:20 CET 2006

Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:

> Hi
>
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 03:12:30PM -0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> [...]
>> > and you can do the same with mp4
>> > and some codecs like ac3 are stored as private stream (a mess worse
>> > then avi)
>>
>> As long as that use of the private streams is defined somewhere, and there
>> is some means of identifying which spec applies to the private stream contents,
>> I don't see a problem with this.
>
> so if i write a spec which defines a priate stream for mpeg-ps like
> private stream:
> 1. some nice human readable identifer with a url of the spec
> 2. a avi/wav fourcc/twocc
> 3. bitmapinfoheader/waveformetex (width/height/samplerate/extradata/...)
> 4. keyframe size and following keyframe data
> 5. non keyframe size and non keyframe data
> 6. goto 5 until size=-1
> 7. goto 1
>
> would that be ok with you? or would you kill me?

If such files are somehow useful to you, then by all means do create
them.  Just don't make the lavf muxer do it by default.  If you do
that I reserve the right to kill you.  Using this as an automatic
"fallback" if someone tries to shove 4XM in MPEG-PS is not acceptable
either.

Actually, now that I think about it, muxing DVD-style AC3 in private
streams should only be done if DVD-mode was explicitly requested.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com