[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Re: MPEGTS muxer problem [on behalf of lucabe72]

QuickTime ffmpeg
Sat Nov 4 03:39:22 CET 2006

Dear Luca:

Thanks for your reply!

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 16:43 +0800, QuickTime wrote:
> > Dear :
> > It seems that the mpeg ts file gernerated by the latest FFmpeg SVN
> > failes to support by VLC
> > (although MPlayer can decode the ts gerneated by ffmpeg)
> >
> > Dear Luca:
> > I searched "mpeg ts muxer " by Google, and found you ever post a
> > thread on this topic in ffmpeg mailist two year ago
> > http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2004-February/033304.html
> > I have the same problem as yours
> > I need create a ts file by ffmpeg, and it should be recognized by VLC player
> > Could you give me any sugestions?
> Well, that was a lot of time ago... Anyway:
> - I think the PCR problem has been fixed, and the PCR in the video
> stream is good enough for playing the TS

Sure,PCR has been fixed, but in a wrong way(not real PCR), But I did
some search,and found the PCR pay a very less important role in VLC

> - I seem to remember that the stuffing has been fixed too (or is never
> used, I do not remember)

Yes,Fixed in AFC

> - I suspect the audio and video streams are not properly interleaved,
> and this causes buffer overflows / underflows, and probably the VLC
> problems too.

VLC only is only happy with the audio stream in the ts(H264+mp2)
generated by latest FFmpeg SVN

> I once posted a patch that reduced this "interleaving problem" by
> splitting the audio PESs, but that was clearly a hack... The MPEG PS
> muxer in mpeg.c properly interleaves the audio and video streams, so
> maybe some code from it can be reused in mpegtsenc.c to implement a
> proper solution

I also think so, The PES wrapper in mpegtsen.c is very simple compared
to the counterpart of libavformat/mpeg.c

> - If I remember well, the DTS is never set in the video PESs (only the
> PTS is set). I think setting the DTS in video streams is not optional
> (but I might be wrong... It's a long time since I last looked at these
> isssues), so this must be fixed... Maybe properly setting the DTS can
> help in solving the VLC issues.

Sure, only PTS is avaialbe in current SVN, DTS is needed by some
Hardware decoder(some STB)
I  also think DTS is the key feature to compataible with VLC, I will
show the result when I finish the testing

> > BTW: I sent the same mail two days ago, but it seemed that you ignored
> > me,so I try again!
> Sorry for the delay, but I am currently quite busy... Before replying, I
> wanted to search for my old notes and check them because I do not
> remember all the details

Thanks again