[Ffmpeg-devel] Streaming from camera segfaults on Ubuntu Dapper

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Thu Nov 2 14:57:42 CET 2006

Hi Timo,

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 13:44 +0200, Timo Rantalaiho wrote:
> Hello Luca,
>
> > better look at this driver. You are using a Logitech Quickcam 8000,
> > right? Which driver are you using? (Which kernel version are you using?
> > What's the driver's name? Is it in upstream kernel, or did you have to
> > recompile it? In the second case, where can the driver be downloaded
> > from? )
>
> Yep, Logitech Quickcam 8000, kernel is stock from Ubuntu
> dapper
I had a look at the 2.6.15 kernel, and the pwc driver contained in it
does not seem to support video4linux2... So I downloaded the sources of
the ubuntu 2.6.15-27-686 kernel, and I can see that the pwc driver in it
has video4linux2 support... This is probably an ubuntu patch.
However, the pwc driver in 2.6.15-27-686 looks broken (the one in 2.6.18
looks ok)... Can you try to upgrade your kernel?

Anyway, I had other reports of similarly broken drivers... I'll code a
workaround in v4l2.c, and I'll probably send it to you tomorrow for
testing.

> > I do not know ffserver very much, but I think the problem here is that
> > the selected bitrate is too low (maybe the bitrate is ok for a 320x280
> > picture, but 640x480 is too large for this bitrate). Try increasing the
> > bitrate.
>
> Yep, I increased the bitrate to 200 and the picture got a
> bit better, but nevertheless there was a lot of errors and
> a lot of lag.
For a 640x480 image, 200kbps is still too low... Maybe something like
500kbps will work better, but I do not know.

			Thanks,
				Luca