[Ffmpeg-devel] H264 RTP + quicktime

Ryan Martell rdm4
Wed Nov 1 18:56:08 CET 2006

On Nov 1, 2006, at 11:21 AM, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Jerry Johns said:
>> Hello folks,
>>
>>                 Seeing as the FFMPEG group has the most experience
>> regarding
>> H264 packetization through RTP, and its integration with QT,
>>
>> I figured I'd ask you folks; I've a working h264 rtp streamer that
>> streams
>> video to vlc; I was wondering if you could point me to specs, code,
>> standards regarding encapsulating the h264 rtp stream
>
> Should be in one of the RTP RFCs, unless I am completely mistaken.

h264 over RTP: RFC 3984

Requires some knowledge of nal units, which is defined in the h264
spec.  the rfc above has a ftp site reference in the addendum where
you can download that spec (without having to pay for the "official"
iso version).

You'll also need to know about the audio (AAC, usually), but I don't
know the RFC number for that one.

>> Into QT through the MP4 container (atoms, etc); I've googled
>> through my
>> nose, and there doesn't seem to be a definite spec on MP4 and H264
>> tying
>> them together
>
> Try googling with a browser instead.  H.264 in MP4 is defined by
> ISO 14496-15,
> the MP4 format being defined in ISO 14496-14 by extending the ISO
> base media
> file format of ISO 14496-12.

Darwin Streaming Server is open source, and runs on macs, windows,
and linux.  You can download it from:

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/server/streaming/

You might find that you can tweak it to do what you want, instead of
rolling your own.  I happen to know (from looking under the covers)
that that's what Akamai uses for it's streaming- a tweaked version of
DSS.

Hope that helps...
-Ryan