[Ffmpeg-devel] Call for volunteers to write NUT de/muxer for libavformat

The Wanderer inverseparadox
Wed Nov 1 02:25:25 CET 2006

Oded Shimon wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 10:39:49AM -0800, Mike Melanson wrote:

>> However, are their any sample files I can look at to get me
>> started?
>
> Make them yourself from either ogg vorbis files or mpeg-4+mp3+avi
> files using nutmerge - svn co svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/nut/

Is this really appropriate given that nutmerge itself, as obtained via
that command line, prints a big fat warning to *not* use it for anything
other than testing purposes?

Also, are you aware that the README file in that checkout is rather
outdated? Perhaps most notably, its instructions assume that the tree is
in CVS rather than in SVN. It also makes some "DON"T USE THIS" type of
statements which don't seem any more consistent with "make samples
yourself" than the nutmerge warning does.

On a more positive note: I, for one, am happy to see this showing up -
I'm looking at the possibility of creating some permanent-archive videos
in the foreseeable somewhat-near future, and I'd really prefer to do
them in Snow+NUT (just because) - which is a bit of a problem if neither
of the above are likely to be stable enough for long-term usage. ^_^ For
either one to be reported as anything like stable can hardly but be a
positive development.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I have an AVI with XviD (which is,
technically, MPEG-4) video and MPEG-1 layer 3 audio on which nutmerge
exits with code 05 after printing the warning message, without writing
even one byte to the output file. After spending perhaps fifteen minutes
learning things I'm surprised I didn't know about gdb, I still haven't
been able to track down the place in the code where that value is set,
but could make the failing file available if it were desired.

(For the record, I was trying to make - among other things - samples
such as both Mike and Michael have requested. Unfortunately, most of the
video files which I have which I am at least reasonably sure are free
are not AVI+MPEG-4+MP3, and the others are sufficiently low-quality that
I doubt transcoding/remuxing them would produce anything worth much -
but I may be able to dig something up if no one beats me to it.)

(For the further record, this makes at least the sixth time I've been
quite irritated by the apparent lack of a "continue executing until you
return from this function" command in gdb. It's a very powerful
debugger, but there are still limitations...)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.