[Ffmpeg-devel] crop, pad, and v4l grabbing

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Mon May 15 14:23:36 CEST 2006

Hi Erik,

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 13:17 +0200, Erik Slagter wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 15:21 +0200, Luca Abeni wrote:
> > it's been pointed out to me that the -pad* and -crop* options in
> > ffmpeg.c do not work well when grabbing from a video (v4l or v4l2)
> > device.
>
> If you like a challenge: use the hardware cropping/scaling capabilities
> of the cards. At least the saa7134's driver has this exposed using the
> crop ioctl. Maybe other types feature this as well nowadays.
Well, that's an intereting challenge :)

Some time ago I considered implementing support for hardware cropping,
but it turned out that my capture card (or the card's driver, I do not
know) do not support such feature...
(or maybe I misread the v4l2 spec, and I did not setup the card
properly)

For the moment, I'll just commit the simple patch I posted, so that
ffmpeg's cropping & padding work also when capturing video from a v4l(2)
card.

				Luca
--
Proud to be "coglione"