[Ffmpeg-devel] YUV420 frames to windows bitmaps

François Revol revol
Wed May 3 22:16:44 CEST 2006

> Hello all:
> I'm trying to display H.264 video in win xp. For now i'd like to get
> started
> by converting the frames into bitmaps and displaying the images. Does
> anyone
> have some example code demonstrating this? Using the output_example
> program
> and modifying it i was able to display images from a saved webcam
> file. With
> the webcam stream i'm able to use the img_convert() api to get from
> PIX_FMT_BGR24(video stream format) to PIX_FMT_RGB24. From there i
> create a
> BITMAPHEADERINFO structure and then display the image using vfw
> (video for
> windows). This works however the image displays upside down? The
> bitmap
> structure is below

Windows bitmaps are by default upside down (last row first).
There is a trick to tell it it's the other way (like negative height
IIRC),
just ask google.

> One of the differences between the webcam file and the H.264 file is
> that
> the frames of the H.264 file come in as PIX_FMT_YUV420P. I don't know
> how to
> create a YUV420 bitmap that I can display in windows. What I do is
> try to
> convert the image to RGB24 and then display the same way as the
> webcam file,
> however this doesn't work. Can anyone point me in the right
> direction? I

The P means Planar, that is Y, U and V data are in 3 different
'planes'.
As in opposite to chunky.

http://fourcc.org/yuv.php

And please fix your mail user agent, it's sending text in an different
encoding than advertised.

Fran?ois.